Monday, May 7, 2012

Too many things plugged in? (Fuse gets tripped)?

Hi there - I just moved into a room in a group house and there's no overhead light, so I had two floor lamps, a small sized tv (13 inch), a table lamp, and a space heater on high on. I then put on a hair dryer (stupid I know) and the fuse got tripped. Fair enough. The landlady was angry with me, but flicked the fuse back. Then, a few nights later I had the heater on, the tv, the table lamp and one floor lamp only and it tripped again. She was furious with me and said I'm doing something "crazy" with what I've plugged in. But I don't think it's unreasonable, especially as there are no heat sources in the room. She built the house, and I think she may have screwed up the electricals. My question is, I've got an oil-filled 1500 watt radiator now, if I have that plugged in with the tv on, my laptop on, and three lamps with new 15 watt energy saving lamps on - is this unreasonable and am I going to blow the fuse again? I can't stand dealing with her again, but am freezing in my room! Thanks



Too many things plugged in? (Fuse gets tripped)?

getting the oil heater will help but you are overloading a single circuit. try using another outlet.



Too many things plugged in? (Fuse gets tripped)?

you got to much stuff going on,all the things that are going are going to cause a fire, your heater use's alot of amps



Too many things plugged in? (Fuse gets tripped)?

Many city governments have regulations on how cold an apartment/building can get before it becomes a health hazard. I suggest contacting the local authorities to find out what you can do about the lack of heat.



As far as the electricity is concerned the total amps of all the appliances that u want to plug in can not exceed the amps of the circuit breaker they are plugged into. The circuit breaker "trips" as a safety precaution when it's overloaded.



Ask the landlady if she know how many circuits control the outlets in the room and what there amperage is. That should help u determine what u can't or can plug in at the same time.



Too many things plugged in? (Fuse gets tripped)?

The lack of heat should be dealt with, but electrically,



you are doing "something crazy".



Your 1500W. heater is already over the maxim



sustained load that should be placed on a single



15A. receptacle circuit, (1440W.).



Add the TV, (50W.) and three lamps (45W.), your



laptop, (50W.), and you are overloading the circuit,



(which is probably shared with other rooms), all by



yourself.



Maybe go to a 750W. heater.



Too many things plugged in? (Fuse gets tripped)?

Your room is most likely supplied with one 15 amp circuit. That is a maximum of 1800 watts total. Tell her to turn the heat up.

No comments:

Post a Comment