Thursday, April 26, 2012

What would keep my engine (3.0L 91PlymVoygr) from startng in the AM when its cold but starts when it

In the morning my 91 Plymouth Voyager will not start.



I have a good battery and recently (1 week ago) replaced the starter motor and solenoid assembly.



Last Friday, I was late to work because of this problem and I had to get a ride with my wife. I decided to work on it this Saturday and late in the morning after it go a little warm out, it started just fine! This morning (Mon) it woudnt start so I was thinking that maybe the temperature had something to do with it not starting so I ran an extension cord to my van and plugged in a hair dryer and left it running in the engine compartment for about 7 minutes.



I turned the key and it started right up!



Does anyone know where I can begin troubleshooting this?



Has something like this ever happened to you and would you know how I could go about fixing this?



.



What would keep my engine (3.0L 91PlymVoygr) from startng in the AM when its cold but starts when its warm out

I'd change the ignition coil. Sometimes if they aren't giving a strong spark they won't work in cold weather, but when its warmer they are fine. Had a similar problem on a older minivan. Good luck.



What would keep my engine (3.0L 91PlymVoygr) from startng in the AM when its cold but starts when its warm out

electronic choke stuck??? is moisture getting on the spark plug wires in the morning causing them to short? ...i had the same problem when it would rain till i changed the sparkplug wires



What would keep my engine (3.0L 91PlymVoygr) from startng in the AM when its cold but starts when its warm out

could be that the coolant temp sensor is failed. i would have that tested



What would keep my engine (3.0L 91PlymVoygr) from startng in the AM when its cold but starts when its warm out

I would change the engine coolant temperature sensor. They are usually located in the thermostat housing. This sensor won't come up on an engine scanner, because the engine computer has nothing to compare it to. This sensor also won't cause the engine light to come on, because the computer won't know that it is bad. The sensors cost about $10.00 for a gm, so I would think that they would be about the same on a Chrysler. I had this happen on my pickup, and I replaced it after spending about $200.00 on other stuff that wasn't broken. HOPE IT HELPS!



What would keep my engine (3.0L 91PlymVoygr) from startng in the AM when its cold but starts when its warm out

its drawing moisture overnight.if its got a distributer cap,take it off and spray some wd40 in it,to displace the moisture.



What would keep my engine (3.0L 91PlymVoygr) from startng in the AM when its cold but starts when its warm out

a little more info would be helpful but lets check the basics first, are you getting spark? could be the cap/rotor or coil pack/module.. possibly old sparkplug wires that tend to arc when cold and wet.. there are many sensors on the vehicle but i would not go replacing those until i checked to see if i am getting spark first.. what about fuel, when you turn the key to the on position, you should hear the fuel pump turn on for approximately 3 seconds( located in the fuel tank), possibly a fuel pump relay on its way out if the pump is not coming on... i would try to see if i was getting spark at thte plugs first before i go replacing sensors..

No comments:

Post a Comment